Roast Curried Shoulder of Lamb with Oven Poached Potatoes
Author: Dave Ahern
Recipe type: Main
- 1- 500g (about 1 lb) small shoulder of lamb, enough for 3 people
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili (seeds optional)
- 1tsp of tamarind
- ½tsp each of
- Chili powder
- Turmeric powder
- Fenugreek powder
- Garam masala powder
- Ginger powder
- Cumin powder
- Corriander powder
- Score the fat and pierce the meat several times to allow the paste to work its way into the meat
- I used a pestle & mortar, add a good pinch of rock salt & cracked pepper to make it easier
- I do the garlic and chili first then add the rest all in one go.
- Add 2tbs of oil to loosen it up.
- Rub the paste into the lamb, pushing into the incisions you made in the meat. Leave it for 30mins if you can.
- Don't wash out the mortar, you will see why below
- Take 3 medium tomatoes
- Remove the pulp and seeds and add them to the paste residue in the mortar and mix well
- Roughly chop the tomato and add to one thinly sliced leek, use these to make a bed in an oven proof dish to rest the lamb on
- Roast in a preheated over at 180 degrees for about 35 minutes then remove the lamb to let it rest
- Pour in a half glass of white wine to the dish and mix (kind of de-glaze) the dish, return it to the over while the lamb rests to make a sauce
- To do the potatoes, wash but don't peel some potatoes, cut them into pieces about a half an inch in size and place them in a bowl
- Pour over some olive oil add some salt and pepper and mix so they are well coated in the oil.
- Sprinkle some dried oregano on a plate and roll the skin side of the potatoes in the oregano, the oil will help it stick.
- Place in an oven proof dish with the skin side facing up.
- Pour in some chicken stock into the dish till it comes about half the way up the potatoes.
- Cover with tin foil and roast in the same oven as the lamb, remove the foil after 15mins to allow the skin to crisp up.
- If there is some liquid left in the bottom of the dish you can add it to the sauce.
- Slice the lamb, spoon over the sauce and serve the potatoes on the side.
Sayer Foods: Roast Curried Shoulder of Lamb with Oven Poached Potatoes
Author: Chef Matt of Sayerfoods.com
Recipe type: Main
- 1 can chunk-style chicken
- 1 can tomatoes, in juice
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- ¼ c. frozen chopped green pepper
- ¼ c. frozen chopped onion
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- Fresh jalapeno peppers if desired
- Cut tomatoes into small pieces and put into a sauce pan with the liquid from the can. Combine tomatoes with remaining ingredients and heat on low, covered, for several hours.
Sayer Foods: Chicken Chili