Lemon Meringue Pie
Recipe type: dessert
- 9 inch baked pie crust
- 1½ C. sugar
- ½ C. plus 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1½ C. water
- 3 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- ½ C. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, lemon peel and lemon juice.
- Temper in the egg yolks slowly.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Heap meringue onto hot pie filling.
- Spread over filing and seal meringue to edge of pie crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Put peaks in the meringue using back of a spoon and lifting upwards.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until a delicate brown.
- Cool away from drafts.