Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Filling
Recipe type: Dessert
- 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ C. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 C. sweetened coconut flakes
- ⅛ tsp. almond extract (optional)
- Chocolate batter:
- 1½ C. all-purpose flour
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- ¼ C. baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 C. water
- ⅓ C. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tins with paper cups.
- To make filling: Beat together cream cheese and sugar.
- When smooth, beat in egg.
- Stir in coconut and almond extract (if using). Set aside.
- Leftover filling can be refrigerated at least 1 week (for another batch later).
- To make batter: Stir together four, granulated sugar, baking cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add water, vegetable oil, white vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Fill paper cups a little less than half full.
- Top again with a spoonful of chocolate batter.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until done.
- Sift powdered sugar on tops.
- Makes 18 cupcakes.