Cutout Sugar Cokies
Recipe type: Cookies
- 1 cup real butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- (can omit almond and add 1 t vanilla)
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 or more tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (can use ½ teaspoon vanilla in place of the almond)
- food coloring
- In large bowl with mixer, combine butter and sugar, add eggs and extracts; Beat on high til light and fluffy. In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the butter mixture until well blended. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours. Set oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. On very lightly floured surface roll out the dough into about ¼-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies 2-inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 4-6 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely before icing.
- In a small bowl mix the confectioners sugar with milk (start with 1-2 tablespoons, you will likely need more milk for the perfect spreading consistency). Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until the icing is smooth and glossy (if the icing is too thick add in a small amount more of corn syrup). Divide into as many separate bowls as you wish for different colors. Add in food coloring until desired intensity is achieved. Decorate as desired….you can use small paint brushes, piping bags or dip the cookies in the icing to add detail. Allow to set on waxed paper until icing is set. Icing will harden.
- Amount of cookies depends on size of cutters you use.