Recipe type: dessert
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup eggnog
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups eggnog
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red and green gel food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add Rum and Vanilla extract.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients and gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Add eggnog and mix well.
- Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, put eggnog in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Gradually whisk in flour and salt and increase heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil while whisking continuously for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy and gradually beat in the eggnog mixture and vanilla until smooth.