Delectable Maple Nut Chocolates
Author: Holiday of Ohio
Recipe type: dessert
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 4 cups (24 ounces) HERSHEY’®S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a small saucepan, combine milk and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted. Place the confectioners' sugar in a large bowl; add milk mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in the walnuts, maple flavoring and vanilla. Roll into ¾-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. In a microwave, melt the chips, bittersweet chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 13 dozen.
It is easiest if let the maple mixture cool before rolling into balls - best to refrigerate. Do not over microwave the chocolate. Stir it every 40 seconds or so - otherwise will get stiff. I made these for the 1st time @ Christmas 2010. I try to make a new candy recipe every year & this was the one for 2010! I will be adding it to my list to make every year!