Cherry Cream Puff Ring
Author: Sno-covered Casey Clause of Maple Shade, NJ, USA
Recipe type: dessert
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 package (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding
- Cream Puff Ring: Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat water and margarine to rolling boil in sauce pan. Stir in flour, turn burner on low. Stir Vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Beat in eggs, all at once. Continue beating until smooth. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons in a 8"-9" circle about the shape of a wreath onto a greased cookie sheet. Smooth out ring with a spatula. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 50-60 minutes. Do not under-cook, and DO NOT peak in oven or it will collapse. Cool away from draft. After cooled, but off top and pull out any loose filaments of soft dough.
- Prepare Vanilla Filling: mix 1½ cups milk, ¾ cup sour cream, vanilla, almond extract and pudding mix until smooth. Best if refrigerate for ½ hour.
- Fill Ring: *Fill ring with pudding mixture. Top pudding with cherry pie filling. Place top of ring on and put some cherries on top.
Depending on how big, or little or oblong or square ( I have had all shapes), you may need a double batch of pudding mixture. You can use any pudding filling you enjoy, as well as the pie filling. Mix it up, use what you like!