Chocolate Covered Cherries
Recipe type: dessert
- 1 jar maraschino cherries
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 small bag chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Drain cherries and set on paper towels to dry.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter and corn syrup until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and knead to form a dough. Chill to stiffen. Wrap each cherry in about 1 teaspoon of dough. Chill in freezer until firm. Melt chocolate and shortening in microwave. Dip each cherry in by its stem and place on wax paper. Chill until completely set. Peel off and re-dip bottoms. Chill again on wax paper and then place in truffle wrappers and store in an airtight container in a cool place. Best after 2 weeks.