Hot Buttered Rum
Author: Recipe Submitted by: Lauriebear of New York
Recipe type: Beverage
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups rum (preferably dark)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar (light brown)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- heavy cream (1 pint)
- Confection sugar (to taste)
- ground nutmeg &
- cinnamon for garnish
- Put all ingredients, except rum, into Crockpot.
- Add 3½ cups hot water and stir well
- Cover pot and cook on Low for 5 hours. Or on High for 1 hour and Low for 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Right before serving stir in rum until fully blended
- Serve from pot in warm mugs with a scoop of whipped cream (see recipe below) and a dusting of nutmeg & cinnamon.
- Add confection sugar to your taste (I don’t make it too sweet for this as the buttered rum is very sweet)
- Whip the heavy cream & sugar with electric mixer on high until peaks form
- Notes: You can make this on the stove just mind you temperature keep it low I am not too sure how long it would need but it couldn’t take (even on the lowest setting) more than 3 hours. Just be careful not to let is burn. Use dark rum it gives the drink it's rich coloring. This came from Mrs. McGrath a woman I provided meal-on-wheels for. She was a sweet lady and we would talk about recipes for hours, she loved to cook and bake. She would tell me of her families grand holidays and well I sometimes wished I had been a part of them.